English Language Arts (ELA)
Avoca Elementary School uses a balanced literacy approach to instruction that incorporates the Fountas and Pinnell Classroom for Reading and the Lucy Calkins Writer’s Workshop Units of Study as resources to align to the New York State ELA Standards. Follow this link to learn more about the New York State Learning Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy
The Fountas and Pinnell Classroom: The Fountas and Pinnell Classroom supports whole group, small group, and independent reading instruction. The components of the F&P Classroom include:
- Interactive Read Aloud: The teacher reads aloud a selected text to the students while occasionally pausing for questions and discussions
- Reading Mini Lessons: Explicit Instruction to the whole group of students about a principle that can be applied to their own reading
- Shared Reading: The teacher and students read aloud a book together to promote exposure of more difficult texts.
- Phonics, Spelling, and Word Study: Explicit Instruction to the whole group of students to help them learn about the use of sounds, letters, and words.
- Guided Reading: Students work in small groups to read and answer questions about a text at their instructional reading level
- Independent Reading: Students read self selected books and share ideas with their teacher and peers through brief mini lessons and conferencing.
Lucy Calkins Writer’s Workshop Units of Study: The Units of Study help teachers provide explicit instruction and guided practice in opinion/argument, information, and narrative styles of writing.
Our mathematics instruction utilizes the New York State Math Modules and McGraw Hill resources to teach the concrete, pictorial, and abstract understanding of math to align to the New York State Mathematics Standards. Follow this link to learn more about the New York State Learning Standards for Mathematics.
McGraw Hill Mathematics
Avoca elementary utilizes an inquiry-based method of instruction for science through the FOSS resource.
Avoca utilizes the New York State Social Studies framework as a guide for instruction. Follow this link to view the New York State K-8 Social Studies Framework.
Curriculum Tools & Resources
Below you will find each grade level’s curriculum tools/resources overview and a link to the standards based report card. Reading Level Information comes from the Fountas and Pinnell Text Gradient Level Document. Please click on your child’s grade level to view the information.
Standards-based Report Cards
Click on your child's grade level to view a sample of that grade's report card