The Paw Print
Middle/High School Newsletter
Friday, March 6, 2020
Dates to Remember
- Saturday, March 7 @ 3:00pm - Sectional Finals, Boys D1 Basketball Game @ Blue Cross Arena
- Monday, March 9 - JV & Varsity Spring Athletics Start Date
- Monday, March 9 - Sophomore Class Fundraiser Begins
- Monday, March 9 @ 6:00pm - Sports Boosters Meeting, DL Room
- Friday, March 13 - Interim Period 3 Ends
- Monday, March 16 - Modified Spring Athletics Start Date
- Thursday, March 19 - Environmental Science Class Field Trip
- Thursday, March 19 - Spring Sports Photos
- Thursday, March 19 - Student Council Blood Drive
- Thursday, March 19 @ 5:00pm - STEAM Night
- Thursday, March 19 @ 5:00pm - Luggage Check for Modern Language/Art Club Trip
- Friday, March 20 - Superintendent's Conference Day, No School for Students
- Friday, March 20-Saturday, March 21 - Modern Language & Art Club Washington D.C. Trip
- Congratulations to Tristian Stark, who was chosen to represent Avoca in the Ronald McDonald Greater Rochester All-Star Game!
- Congratulations to Ben Stilson who won first place at the Skills USA competition in Power Equipment Technology!
- Congratulations to Jeff Jones who won first place at the Skills USA competition in Carpentry!
- Congratulations to the following students who will be competing in the All County Music Festival on March 13th: Lydia Beecher, Shauna Pimm, Zach Hill, Jackson Oliver and Kirsty Ferguson!
Sectional Finals Game
Our Boys Varsity Basketball Team has made it to the Sectional Finals for D1. The game is on Saturday, at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester. Game begins at 3:00pm. Tickets are $6.00 at the door. Come support our tigers!
Beat the Winter Blahs
Student council has organized their annual "Beat the Winter Blahs" spirit week. Monday-Friday, March 9-13 students are invited to participate in our daily themes! These include:
- Monday - Maroon and Gold Day
- Tuesday - Tye-Dye Day
- Wednesday - Movie/Celebrity Day
- Thursday - Sports Day
- Friday - Pajama Day
Rochester Teen Book Festival
Mrs. Kilbourne is taking a bus to the Teen Book Festival held at RIT in Rochester on Saturday, May 16, 2020. The bus will leave in the morning and will return between 4-5 pm. Students in grades 7-12 are eligible to go. There is no cost and lunch will be provided. Visit the Teen Book Festival page here. Students interested in going should complete the form sent by Mrs. Kilbourne to their email.
Students and their families are invited to attend our annual STEM Night on Thursday, March 19th from 5:00-7:00pm where you can participate in free, hands-on activities in the cafeteria and sixth-grade wing. There will be chances for door-prizes and lots of fun! Activities include: Robotics demonstrations, rainbow paper, water xylophone, plant a shamrock, and make playdough. For more information, contact Mrs. Rodbourn.
Community Event: Project Prom Dress
Alfred State College is excited to announce that Project Prom Dress Extravaganza 2020 will take place from 10:00am to 2:00pm, Sunday, March 22 in the Pioneer Center on the Alfred campus. Project Prom Dress is a student-driven initiative and is the passion of the sorority sisters of Delta Chi Omega. Annually, new and gently used gowns are donated from local bridal shops and individuals, and the sorority sisters collect hundreds of gowns, shoes, and accessories. Gowns and accessories are offered free of charge at this event. For more information, click here.
Community Event: "To The Nines" Formal Attire Event
Once again, the Haverling Student Council will be hosting “To the Nines” on Saturday March 28th from 10:00am- 1:00pm. This event will offer formal attire (Prom dresses), semi-formal dresses, shoes, jewelry and other accessories FREE of charge to any student from the Steuben County area. This event is 100% free of charge. We have a selection of over 250 dresses from size 0 to size 26. All items are available on a first come first serve basis. Check out the event flyer here.
Follow Us on Twitter & Like Us on Facebook
- Avoca Central School Twitter
- Mr. Denaker - Middle/High School Twitter
- Mr. Delles - ACS Athletics Twitter
- Avoca Central School Facebook
- Use the hashtag #AvocaProud to highlight our Tiger Pride!