The Paw Print
Middle/High School Newsletter
Friday, September 20, 2019
Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 23 - Sophomore Tupperware Sale Begins
- Thursday, September 26 @ 12:45pm - Early Release for Students
- Friday, September 27 @ 9:00am - National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony, District Auditorium
- Monday, September 30-Friday, October 4 - Spirit Week
- Thursday, October 3 @ 5:30pm - Sports Boosters Community Color Run
- Friday, October 4 @ 5:00pm - Spud Jug Games
- Saturday, October 5 - Homecoming Dance
College & Military Visits
- Monday, September 23 @10:30am - Tompkins Cortland Community College
- Wednesday, September 25 @9:15am - SUNY College at Brockport
- Wednesday, September 25 @12:00pm - St. John Fisher College
- Monday, September 30 @12:15pm - SUNY Canton
Early Release Day
On Thursday, September 26th, students will be released from school at 12:45pm. Teachers and staff will be in meetings for the remainder of the day. All students must leave the school at 12:45. There will not be an after-school study hall available. Afternoon BOCES students will attend BOCES as normal.
Second Annual Color Run
Avoca Sports Boosters cordially invites you to join us on Thursday, October 3rd from 5:30-7:00pm for our second annual Tiger Pride Color Run. This event is a one mile run/walk. Additional fun includes design-a-sign for the homecoming games, a dunking tank, and more! Bring a canned good for donation and get a ticket to use at the dunk tank! Click here to download a permission slip for the event. A flyer for the Color Run can be downloaded here.
The Leader in Me LEAD Team in conjunction with the elementary Lighthouse Team met during the summer, and planned our Fall Spirit Week. This week ends with the Spud Jug, and the Homecoming Dance. The daily themes are:
- Monday, September 30 - Superhero Day
- Tuesday, October 1 - Twinning Day
- Wednesday, October 2 - Pajama Day
- Thursday, October 3 - Compound Word Day
- Friday, October 4 - Maroon & Gold, Tiger Pride Day
On Saturday, October 5th, the Senior Class invites all students in grades 6-12 to attend the Homecoming Dance. Grades 6-8 are welcome from 7:00-9:00pm. Grades 9-12 are welcome from 9:00-11:00pm. The cost of admission is $5.00. Students must be academically eligible to attend the dance. Guest passes are available from the High School Main Office. They must be completed before noon on Friday, October 4th.
Senior photos are due to Mrs. Baker by Tuesday, October 15th. Seniors may submit their photos electronically, by emailing Mrs. Baker a high-resolution image to firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be submitted via a thumb-drive, CD, or on a print. (No names printed on the front, and please do not write on the back of the print, as it may bleed.) Students may choose to use the school picture day photo (September 19) as their Senior Photo.
Guidelines for Senior Photos:
- Head and Shoulders Shot in Portrait (Vertical) Orientation
- Head Size (from top of the head to chin) should be approximately 1/2 of the image
- Full Color Image
- Attire is school appropriate and meets dress code
- No Hats, Props, Mirror, or Special Effects
- No Soft Focus
New scholarships have been posted to our Scholarship Page, including the Daughters of the American Revolution Scholarships, and the Section V Athletics Scholarship. Check them out on our scholarship page here.
Community Event: Service Academy Night
On Tuesday, September 24th at 6:00pm, Senator Gillibrand is presenting a Service Academy Night for high school students considering an application to a service academy. This event will be held in Rochester, at Monroe Community College in the High Falls Conference Room. If interested, please RSVP to Christina Grey at Christina_gray@senate.gov or 585-263-6250. Representatives from the following service academies will be on-hand: US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy, Army/Navy/Air Force ROTC. An information flyer can be obtained here.
Community Event: 24th Annual Bath College Fair
Come and visit with over 40 colleges, and 5 armed forces at the 24th Annual Bath College Fair. This event is Tuesday, September 24th from 6:00-7:30pm at the Haverling High School Gymnasium. Seniors are eligible for a $300 scholarship drawing. The event is co-sponsored by the Haverling Guidance Department and the Bath Knights of Columbus.
Community Programs: Finger Lakes Boating Museum
The Finger Lakes Boating Museum offers two teen programs at their facility in Hammondsport. The organization is looking for students interested in their "Teen Builders Club" and their "Skippers" program. The Teen Builders Club is a group of students that meet twice a month to build a small boat. Currently they are working on a hydroplane that will be launched this fall. The Skippers are learning to be docents at the museum. Under the guidance of a college student, they are learning the history of boats, builders, and more. To learn more about these programs please call the Finger Lakes Boating Museum at (607) 569-2222.
Follow Us on Twitter & Like Us on Facebook
- Avoca Central School Twitter
- Mr. Denaker - Middle/High School Twitter
- Mr. Delles - ACS Athletics Twitter
- Avoca Central School Facebook
- Use the hashtag #AvocaProud to highlight our Tiger Pride!