The Paw Print
Middle/High School Newsletter
Friday, September 13, 2019
Dates to Remember
- Thursday, September 19 - School Picture Day
- Thursday, September 19 - Fall Sports Photos
- Thursday, September 19 - Field Trip: Senior Hike
- Monday, September 23 - Raindate for Senior Hike
- Monday, September 23 - Sophomore Tupperware Sale Begins
- Thursday, September 26 @ 12:45pm - Early Release for Students
- Friday, September 27 @9:00am - National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony, District Auditorium
School Picture Day
School picture day is Thursday, September 19th. Photo forms have already been sent home. If you would like to order photos online, visit mylifetouch.com using Picture Day ID: CM339005Y0.
Senior photos are due to Mrs. Baker by Tuesday, October 15th. Seniors may submit their photos electronically, by emailing Mrs. Baker a high-resolution image to email@example.com. They can also be submitted via a thumb-drive, CD, or on a print. (No names printed on the front, and please do not write on the back of the print, as it may bleed.) Students may choose to use the school picture day photo (September 19) as their Senior Photo.
Guidelines for Senior Photos:
- Head and Shoulders Shot in Portrait (Vertical) Orientation
- Head Size (from top of the head to chin) should be approximately 1/2 of the image
- Full Color Image
- Attire is school appropriate and meets dress code
- No Hats, Props, Mirror, or Special Effects
- No Soft Focus
College & Military Visits
- Tuesday, September 17 @9:00am - Corning Community College
- Wednesday, September 18 @1:00pm - Mansfield University of Pennsylvania
- Wednesday, September 25 @9:15am - SUNY College at Brockport
- Wednesday, September 25 @12:00pm - St. John Fisher College
Early Release Day
On Thursday, September 26th, students will be released from school at 12:45pm. Teachers and staff will be in meetings for the remainder of the day. All students must leave the school at 12:45. There will not be an after-school study hall available. Afternoon BOCES students will attend BOCES as normal.
Second Annual Color Run
Avoca Sports Boosters cordially invites you to join us on Thursday, October 3rd from 5:30-7:00pm for our second annual Tiger Pride Color Run. This event is a one mile run/walk. Additional fun includes design-a-sign for the homecoming games, a dunking tank, and more! Bring a canned good for donation and get a ticket to use at the dunk tank! Click here to download a permission slip for the event. A flyer for the Color Run can be downloaded here.
Vaping: Parent Tip Sheet for Talking with your Teen
On Thursday and Friday, Mrs. O'Dell from the Steuben Prevention Coalition spoke with Health classes, and the Middle School students on the dangers of vaping. Attached, please find a tip sheet from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention on how to talk to your teen about vaping. You can download the tip sheet here.
The Leader in Me LEAD Team in conjunction with the elementary Lighthouse Team met during the summer, and planned our Fall Spirit Week. This week ends with the Spud Jug, and the Homecoming Dance. The daily themes are:
- Monday, September 30 - Superhero Day
- Tuesday, October 1 - Twinning Day
- Wednesday, October 2 - Pajama Day
- Thursday, October 3 - Compound Word Day
- Friday, October 4 - Maroon & Gold, Tiger Pride Day
Community Event: Strong Kids, Safe Kids Festival
On September 14 from noon to 4pm stop down to the Steuben County Fairgrounds in Bath for the Strong Kids, Safe Kids Festival. The day is full of free family fun including a bike rodeo, games, inflatables, rock climbing, healthy snacks, and more!
Community Event: Service Academy Night
On Tuesday, September 24th at 6:00pm, Senator Gillibrand is presenting a Service Academy Night for high school students considering an application to a service academy. This event will be held in Rochester, at Monroe Community College in the High Falls Conference Room. If interested, please RSVP to Christina Grey at Christina_gray@senate.gov or 585-263-6250. Representatives from the following service academies will be on-hand: US Military Academy, US Naval Academy, US Coast Guard Academy, US Merchant Marine Academy, Army/Navy/Air Force ROTC. An information flyer can be obtained here.
Community Event: 24th Annual Bath College Fair
Come and visit with over 40 colleges, and 5 armed forces at the 24th Annual Bath College Fair. This event is Tuesday, September 24th from 6:00-7:30pm at the Haverling High School Gymnasium. Seniors are eligible for a $300 scholarship drawing. The event is co-sponsored by the Haverling Guidance Department and the Bath Knights of Columbus.
Follow Us on Twitter & Like Us on Facebook
- Avoca Central School Twitter
- Mr. Denaker - Middle/High School Twitter
- Mr. Delles - ACS Athletics Twitter
- Avoca Central School Facebook
- Use the hashtag #AvocaProud to highlight our Tiger Pride!